Saturday, April 2, 2011

Kerrville to Blanco

Today was 64.8 miles of up and down--some ups pretty steep, but in most cases the momentum from the downs carried me most of the way up the next. We had about 10 miles of really bad road, but the rest was not too bad, some was almost smooth, especially the last 9 miles into town. Really lifted my spirits, which had been flagging badly.

We  were also fortunate that today was cloudy until late afternoon.  Although it is very dry and there is a burn ban thruout the Hill Country, it is much more humid here than earlier and the sweat does not evaporate as easily. With temperature in the high *0s full sun would have been quite uuncomfortaable.

There were more flowers along the roadside than on any previous day.  As we paralleled I-10 there were bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush. Elsewhere there were lots of white and yellow daisies, rain lilies (which are pink when in bud and white with pink tinge when open--quite delicate and lovely), pinks, and many others which I couldn't identify.

On the way into Blanco I stopped at the Dairy Queen for a strawberry milkshake--really refreshing on a hot day and oh so yummy! It should read temps in the high 80s, but I can't get this to let me go bake and make the change.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a great ride! I can almost see the flowers and taste the milkshake. Cloud cover is a good thing.

    A couple of weeks ago I was getting down about our thick, dark skies and not liking it for biking. And then I thought to myself "if this was July, you would be happy for clouds". So, thenceforth, all gray,gloomy,cloudy, spitty days became known as "July". Problem solved.

    Glad you had a good day, hope tomorrow is even better.

    ReplyDelete