Sunday, April 17, 2011

Pascagoula, MS - Dauphin Island AL.

We are one state closer to the end.  We have a rest day tomorrow here on dauphin Island which is a barrier island outside Mobile Bay.  We're staying in a condo complex with direct access to the beach and 2 swimming pools. On the horizon are a number of oil rigs and tonigght they are lit up like Christmas trees.  I counted 8 of them, some close some farther away.

Today's ride was a short 41.3 mi.  We had a headwind or crosswind for the first 25-0 miles, then a tailwind.  I liked that part better.  I did spot an alligator along the bank of a creek? bayou? shortly before leaving Mississippi. I stopped at the spot where the ranger at the wildlife refuge (where I stopped yesterday) told me I could a number of pitcher plants but i couldnIt see any. Much of the area was fenced off and inaccessible.

The last part of the ride was near the coast with  lots of salt water marshes and a number of sea birds including egrets, a great blue heron, brown pelicans, and white pelicans.  Finally. to get to the island we rode across a 3.5 mi  bridge which was mostly low level but one very high section which provided great views of the island and out over the water.  However, there were aa lot of broken beer bottles on the shoulder and I'm really surprised that I didn't get a flat tire.

Wehad a bit of a party tonight to celebrate the birthday of our guide, Carol.

1 comment:

  1. Gators are kinda cool - but I prefer to see them at a safe distance. Half a mile seems good.

    Happy Birthday to Carol - and how cool of you gusy to give her a party. That's 3 birthdays now, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete