Wednesday, April 13, 2011

St. Francisville to Hammond, LA

What a day!  First, let me say that it was a beautiful, warm, sunny day, the roads were mostly good, and the scenery pleasant. But...it was supposed to be an 87 mi day until we encountered a detour which made it a 95 mile day.  Then I was cruising along with my head on another planet and missed a turn, adding 4 more miles. As I neared the end, I saw a Sonic drivein where I could get a milkshake, and with my attention thus diverted I missed a turn and added another mile to the total.  So, I rode a century (100 miles) today, the 2nd time on this trip, and I did get the milkshake.

Just a note about the Sonic chain: it is a drivein fast food place like they used to have when I was a teenager.  There is no inside seating, but there is outdoor seating with a place to order, which works very well for us cyclists.  I thought driveins had disappeared completely, but not here in Louisiana and eastern Texas.

While it was a pleasant ride today, there wasn't anything particularly notable about the area we were passing thru--it could have been anywhere in the eastern US south of New England.  For the first time on this trip, I did not take any photos, which gives you some idea.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the Century! You deserve a milkshake for that one. Nice that it was a flat day that you mis-turned on.

    ReplyDelete