Monday, April 25, 2011

Crawfordville to Perry

Monotonous I think best describes today's 54 mile ride.  We turned left onto route 98 out of the Inn where we spent 2 nights and stayed on it for 52.4 miles before turning right and going 1.6 miles to our motel.  The road was flat and mostly straight with good shoulders and not that much traffic. There were no towns, a couple intersections, and only a few houses as the route was mostly thru or along National Wildlife Preserves  and National Wildlife Management Areas.  Mostly what we saw were trees, including some tree farms and at least one that was harvested. We have been seeing tree farms and their harvesting ever since eastern Texas, and I know that I have mentioned the logging trucks we have had to deal with.

The trees were interspersed with swampy areas and a number of streams and rivers.  We crossed the Wakulla, St. Marks, and Aucilla Rivers.  When Linda was crossing the
Wakulla she stopped to look for alligators.  Instead she saw 2 manatees swimming under the bridge, but that was well after I had crossed without sighting anything.  There were a couple new flowers today which, unfortunately, I have been unable to identify.  The computer is just not very good for this task unless you already know the name of the flowers, then you can find lots of information about them.  But some of the unidentified flowers that I mentioned in Saturday's blog were yellow primroses and spiderworts but of unspecified varieties.  I did see today several beautiful blue irises in the boggy areas and lots of pinks, of different varieties I think.

It rained this afternoon, but not until well after everyone was in.  We have been unbelievably fortunate with the weather, except for the unusual heat.

Tomorrow is a 76 mile ride, I hope with a little more variety than today.

1 comment:

  1. I guess into every tour a little boredom must fall - but at least it didn't rain. Have you taken pictures of the wildflowers? I guess a portable flower press wouldn't be too practical on a bike.

    ReplyDelete