Thursday, April 7, 2011

Navasota to Cleveland (Texas, that is)

Another good ride--75 miles today much of it thru wooded areas. We had about 15-20 miles thru Sam Houston National Forest, a lovely ride, but there were also many other miles of wooded areas, mostly pines but oaks and other varieties as well. We had gentle rolling hills in the morning, but by afternoon the landscape had largely flattened out.  I didn't mind the change--my thighs are a bit tired of hills and there was a headwind the last 20 miles. We  passed a large lake while in the National Forest, and I saw egrets and great blue herons for the first time since we left San Diego.

My ride was brightened by the wildflowers along the roads.  The dominant flower today was a bright yellow coreopsis--miles and miles of them.  New today was a red clover that is unlike what I know as red clover back east, which is actually rather purplish.  This clover has a cylindrical flower head and is definitely red.  I have no idea what it is called.  There was also a deep reddish purple vetch as well as all the other flowers I've written about over the last week. If they have this many wildflowers when it has been so dry, I can't imagine what it would be like if they had had rain.

Yesterday was a rest day in Navasota. A group of us walked into town for lunch, then I continued exploring on my own. Lots of antique shops, but not much else. One of the town's claims to fame is being the Blues capital of Texas.  They have a Blues jam every Friday night, unfortunately, I was there on Wednesday.  There were a number of big Victorian era houses in town--the money came from lumbering and growing cotton.  The town is, it seemed to me, less prosperous now, although several of those houses have been turned into inns or B&Bs, so maybe the money now is in tourists.

I also visited the studio of a local artist whose work I really liked--very simple lines and vivid colors making a powerful impression. Didn't buy one, but I do have his card and his web address.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a beautiful bouquet - and I don't think you would appreciate their beauty as much from a car. Bike - the only way to go.

    I have found it very interesting to compare antique shops in different part of the country. Glad you enjoyed your afternoon.

    ReplyDelete