Friday, March 18, 2011

Silver City to Kingston

Only 48 miles today but oh what a 48 miles!  We started the day with long, steeper-than-I-like rollers, then climbed up over a mountain range followed by a long downhill (got up to 39 mph) with which we lost most of the elevation that we had gained.  Next came the climb up to Emery Pass at 8,000+ ft.  I thought I wasn't going to be able to do it because I was having such difficulty breathing at that elevation.  But I did it! Four of us--Marge, Eva, Greta, and me--were more or less riding together and encouraging each other along. Total elevation gain today was 4,735 ft.

Although it was a tough ride and I'm exhausted, it was also a great ride--the weather was perfect, the scenery beautiful.  We were up high enough that there were lots of trees and not much desert.  It was lovely riding with the scent of pine in the air, and the views as we rode thru a canyon area were just spectacular as was the view from Emery Pass lookout.  Then there was the 8-mile downhill from Emery Pass with the roadside dropping off steeply into a deep canyon.  You better believe that I did not hug the side of the road as it twisted and turned going down.  I was out there in the middle of the lane and the cars could just wait if they couldn't get by.  Great fun!

Tonight we are staying at the Black Range Lodge, which is a rather funky, environmentally friendly place.

1 comment: