Thursday, March 10, 2011

March 10

I seem to  be having trouble with this blog. The one I posted for the 4th and 5th days seems to have disappeared into the ether.  The key event for the 4th day was a 7 mile ride thru a sand dunes area with a 30 mi cross wind driving sand at us.  It was great and the dunes were lovely.

The 5th day was a  rest day in Blythe, CA, near the border with Arizona.

The last 2 days we have been riding across the Arizona desert. Visually wonderful--mountains surrounding us and the desert  surprisingly varied. Lots of saguaro and other cacti. And unexpected things along the way like the stack of 8 dinner plates along the roadside today.  There are also ranches with cattle grazing in the desrt where it seems impossible to me that they could find enough  to sustain life.

2 comments:

  1. Too bad about the missing posts, I bet they were good ones too. It sounds like you enjoyed the desert - lots of people just see dry/dust but it is sooooo varied and lovely at times.

    I have a feeling I will be thinking about those plates at a variety of inopportune times.

    Keep pedaling, you are doing something amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you take a picture of the plates? you know that's my kind of oddness.

    ReplyDelete