Sunday, March 13, 2011

Apache Junction to Globe

I sagged again today.  That climb up above the 4000 ft mark was too much and the grade was more challenging.  Of course, I had already climbed up over 2000 ft before we descended so we could start to climb all over again.  I have no idea what the total elevation gain was today but I would guess it was close to  six thousand ft. The scenery as we went thru the mountains was just incredible.  I took so many photos that I filled my memory card and then was disappointed to find that my camera did not accept the back up card I had with me, so I had to switch to using my cell phone as camera. 

While I was in the sag wagon we passed an enormous copper mine operation.  A local with whom we chatted said that his well had been polluted by the mining operation and now he has to haul water from town in a one hundred and twentyfive (the five doesn't work on the motel computer I am using) gallon tank.  He also noted that all the local mines are now owned by foreign corporations.

We switch roommates every night which is a great way to get to know everybody.  It's an incredible group of women.

No comments:

Post a Comment